Chances are you’ve heard of goal setting. You’ve probably even set a few goals for yourself in the past. And without a doubt, you’ve possibly failed to achieve many of those goals you set for yourself, if not most.
How do I know? Because goal setting and missing the mark is a very normal phenomenon that happens to most people, including myself.
The great news is this, setting goals doesn’t have to be a fruitless activity. In fact, if done right, it eventually leads to better things, like more success, increased happiness, and a better life.
Truly, goal setting is a powerful tool that is freely available for everyone to use to achieve what we desire in life. Unfortunately, way too many people think that setting goals doesn’t work at all. But typically, it is not so much that goal setting doesn’t work, it’s that they don’t work.
My apologies if that sounded harsh. But, goal setting works. It really does. Of course you won’t hit every single goal you set, but you will hit some of them. And hitting goals and making progress is what success is all about.
So, if you want to discover a step-by-step strategy that can help you set and achieve more of the goals you set for yourself, we’ve got just the thing for you.
Follow through on the seven goal setting steps outlined below, and there’s no way you won’t start making more progress on the goals you decided to strive to achieve.
7 POWERFUL GOAL SETTING STEPS TO HELP YOU ACHIEVE MORE
1. Start With Your Vision and Purpose
The first step is the most important of all because it lays the foundation for achieving your goals. So, start with your vision and your purpose.
Here’s how you do this; Imagine you are now living in the future, what do you see and what kind of life are you living? What kind of lifestyle do you want to have?
Starting with a vision is important because it serves as the ‘”lighthouse” that points you in the right direction.
Tony Robbins, the famous personal development guru describes the journey of life like paddling through a raging river.
He said that most people jump into the river without ever deciding where they want to go. And they simply follow where the current brings them.
In other words, they go with the flow. They become parts of the general masses who are directed by the environment rather than making progress to reach the destination that they desire.
Eventually, when these people are five feet away from the Niagara Falls, only then do they realize the boats that they are in are without oars. For these people, it will be too late for them to make any change. Sometimes they suffer an emotional fall, sometimes it is a physical fall, and sometimes it can be a financial fall.
However, such events can be prevented by having a clear vision and purpose for your life. When you know exactly what you want to achieve, you create the conditions for living a proactive life rather than a reactive one. And when you live proactively, it’s much easier to respond the inevitable challenges that life will throw at you.
Visualize and see yourself in the future. It can be ten or twenty years down the road. See yourself living the kind of successful life you want. Imagine the success you desire and then find out your purpose why you want to live that kind of lifestyle.
2. Turn Your Vision and Purpose Into Concrete Goals
This second goal setting step is vital. After you have identified your vision and understand the purpose behind what you want to achieve in life, it is time to turn them into goals. And you do this by writing your goals down.
Some people prefer to write their goals on a piece of paper and some prefer to write them in their journal or notebook. For me, I prefer to do this using Word document so that I can include pictures and make my goals fun and interactive.
Whatever you do, make your goals tangible. And to make them tangible, you can either write them down or print them out, like I do.
You have to be serious and committed when doing this step. If you are just trying to imagine your goals and keep them in your head, it shows that you lack commitment. And in all honesty, most people fail because they are not serious and are not truly committed to their goals. If you need more convincing, here are 7 powerful reasons you should always write down your goals.
Here are some tips to help you in this step:
- Make your goals tangible by writing them on paper.
- Set both long-term and short-term goals.
- Make sure your goals are as specific as possible.
- Include measurable factors to your goals so that you can easily track and record your progress.
- Don’t forget to put a deadline or time-frame for your goals.
One important key to remember is that you must make your goals as exciting as possible. If your goals are not exciting to you, you will never bother to do anything to achieve them. In other words, your goals must also be something that you truly want, not just something you’d love to have. Similarly, it can’t be something that others want from you or for you either. It must be something you truly and deeply want for yourself.
Turn your vision into goals by putting them down onto paper. Remember to make your goals specific, measurable, and include a deadline for them.
3. Transform Your Goals Into Actionable and Measurable Steps
The third step is to transform your goals into actionable and measurable steps. Goals can sometimes be too big, and when they are if can leave you feeling like you as if you have no idea where to start.
Therefore, what you need to do is to create an action plan that can help you know exactly what it is you need to do to start making progress on your goals.
You can start by spending some time brainstorming all the possible action steps you can do to reach your goals, and then writing down every step that comes to mind.
For instance, if you want to build a successful blog, here are some of the items you can include in your plan:
- Identify a profitable niche
- Register a domain name
- Create the blog with WordPress platform
- Come up with 10 content ideas
- Write the first content
- Buy a logo from Fiverr
- Create a Facebook fan page
- And more
Make sure your tactics are specific, clear, and actionable. Vague action steps will only confuse you and make you procrastinate.
The more specific and the more actionable your tactics, the easier and more likely you will be to act on them.
Create your action plan to achieve your goals. Identify all the possible steps you need to take to reach your goals.
4. Commit to Your Big-3 and Take Consistent Action
The only way to achieve your goals is to take action. There is no other way around it. Success is not going to fall down from the sky and money will never go into your bank account accidentally.
When you study the success stories of highly remarkable people, you will see that all of them work extremely hard to accomplish the amazing results they desire in life.
As such, you should be doing the same. So, commit to taking consistent action. Follow the Big-3 rule by taking 3 action steps each day. And remember this, what you do every day matters more than what you do every once in a while. Consistency is critical.
Regardless of how big or small the steps you take each day, as long as you are making progress, you will eventually reach your goals.
Identify 3 action steps you can take each day and commit to completing them. Make sure you do something to make progress toward your goals every day.
5. Condition Your Goals into Your Subconscious Mind
This is a goal setting step most people don’t do. And unfortunately, it is what causes many to fall short of reaching their aims. Typically, when most people first begin setting their goals, they’re so motivated and committed to taking action. However, after a reasonable amount of time elapses, their motivation fades and they start losing interest in their goals. The culprit? They didn’t sear their goals into their subconscious mind.
When your goals become part of your subconscious, your actions will become a habit. And your habits will determine your destiny.
Most people fail to persist consistently because they rely solely on motivation. Now, motivation is great, but it comes and goes. Habits, however, are more reliable.
You brush your teeth each morning after you wake up, right? And how much motivation do you think you need to brush your teeth? Exactly, none.
So, program your goals into your subconscious mind and turn them into habits.
Here are some quick tips you can follow to help you condition your goals into your subconscious mind:
- Create vision boards and practice visualization each day.
- Review your goals and imagine that you are already living the successful life you desire.
- Practice affirmations and repeat them daily
Here are some quick tips to help you turn your actions into habits:
- Repeat your actions every day in a similar manner. Do it at the same time and place.
- Develop schedules and use time-blocking method to take action each day.
- Use the habit stacking method by stacking your action on top of your regular habit.
If you want to have the long-lasting motivation, develop habits and tap into the power of your subconscious mind. Make sure you review your goals daily and develop productive habits to take action.
6. Track and Review Your Progress
Another important step that should be taken is to track and review your progress. A lot of people have this misconception where they think that goal setting is a one-time thing. But this is not the case. Goal setting is a continuous process that requires constant review and tracking of your targets.
Look at it like this. If you don’t track your goals, you will lose yourself in the buzz of your day-to-day life and slowly forget about them. When this happens, you’ll undoubtedly lose your momentum and eventually, you’ll lose your motivation. And lost motivation usually leads to lost goals that never get reached.
The key to achieving your goals is to focus on them. And tracking is one of the most powerful methods to focus on your goals.
Not only that, tracking also allows you to understand your progress. You can tell if you are on the right track and whether what you do is moving you forward or away from your goals.
Thus, create a tracking system or a scoreboard to measure your progress.
In the sales industry, a company usually will send out sales numbers to encourage their employees to focus and perform better. This is one effective form of tracking and measuring too.
Create a tracking system to measure your progress. You can use a simple table scoreboard to do it.
7. Adjust and Improve Where Necessary
The final goal setting step…adjust your strategy as you go.
By now, you should have at least a crystal clear goal to achieve, a solid plan, and a tracking system. Without a doubt, as you take action and progress toward your goals, you’re going to face some setbacks. But you can’t let that stop you.
Don’t fret when you make mistakes or even fail to create the result you want. Just adjust and improve your strategy to do better as you go. Learn from your mistakes and treat your failures as feedback. This is how highly successful people learn and are able to produce remarkable results in their lives.
And if you ever get discouraged, just remember that when a baby learns to walk, it falls down many times. But, just because it falls down doesn’t mean it gives up in it’s attempt to walk. Thankfully so, else none of us adults we be able to walk. So, keep on striving for you goals, regardless of the detours and shortcomings you’ll inevitably face, and sooner or later, you’ll reach your aim.
In short, keep on learning, turn your failures into stepping stones, and improve along the way.
Do not be afraid of making mistakes and failures because they are inevitable. In fact, the more you do and venture forward, the more likely you are going to fail. Hence, make it your principle to learn from your past mistakes and failures.
“If you want to be happy, set a goal that commands your thoughts, liberates your energy and inspires your hopes.” – Andrew CarnegieTweet Quote
Setting goals and achieving them doesn’t need to be difficult. The key is to make sure your goals are clear and that you are willing to take the necessary action steps to reach them.
When in doubt, just follow the 7 steps detailed earlier and outlined below:
- Start with your vision and purpose
- Turn your vision and purpose into concrete goals
- Transform your goals into actionable and measurable steps
- Commit to your Big-3 and take consistent action
- Condition your goals into your subconscious mind
- Track and review your progress
- Adjust and improve where necessary
There you have it, 7 powerful tips on how to set goals that you can implement today to help you achieve more.
And, now that you have these handful of ways to set goals, you should be ready to achieve more of them. But, the real question is… are you ready to start setting some?
THE 5 MINDSETS FOR SUCCESS YOU SHOULD DEVELOP A.S.A.P.
Arnold Schwarzenegger once said, “The mind is the limit. As long as the mind can envision the fact that you can do something, you can do it, as long as you really believe 100 percent.” And you know what, Arnold was right. Success is about mindset. Because what you think, you become. So, that’s what we will be covering on this page, the mindsets for success.
Here’s the thing, you are where you are right now because of your thinking. It is your mind that determines your decisions and actions, and hence, your results.
So, if you are living in poverty, in debt, and feel as though you are stuck in life at the moment, guess what, it is because of your thinking. On the contrary, if you have a successful career, living a good life, have a great family, and enjoy your life every day, it is because of your mindset too.
How you think is how you will act and react. And how you act and react will determine what you will ultimately get in life.
Therefore, if you want to achieve great success in life, the first thing you need to do is to develop the right ways of thinking. As such, we are providing below the 5 mindsets for success you should seek to adopt to achieve the outstanding life you desire. Let’s dive in!
THE 5 MINDSETS FOR SUCCESS
1. Cultivate a Growth Mindset
First, you must cultivate a growth mindset. Most people have a fixed mentality where they believe that everything is fixed, and they can’t change it.
For example, if you think you are bad at math and hence, you can’t accomplish much in life, that’s a fixed mindset.
A growth mindset, on the other hand, is a way of thinking where everything is possible and if you don’t like it, you can change it.
For instance, you may be an engineering graduate and you know nothing about economics and finance. But that doesn’t mean that you can’t succeed financially through investing. And that’s the growth mindset.
When you adopted the growth mindset, you believe you can improve, learn, and acquire new skills to become successful. If you lack the talent or skill, you can learn it. If you don’t have the luck, you can create it.
That’s a growth mindset. It is a thinking that allows every successful entrepreneur like Elon Musk to make their dreams a reality. Because they believe they can do it.
2. Treat Failures as Feedback
The second mindset for success that you should aim to develop, is to believe that failures are not the opposite of success.
You see, many people think that failure is bad. They think that failure means they have failed, and they look at it as something negative. But nothing is further from the truth.
In fact, the more you fail, the more likely you are going to be successful.
Why? Well, Tony Robbins sums it wisely by saying, “Success is the result of good judgement, which is the result of experience, experience is often the result of bad judgement.”
Related: Mindset Quotes
Thus, don’t be afraid to fail. Many people are not successful because they are afraid of failures. They want to start an online business, but they worry that they are going to fail. Some want to become a writer, a best-selling author, or an artist, but they doubt if they can make it. They put too much emphasis on failing, and as a result never start anything.
Never let a fear of failure stop you. The same goes for when you experience failure as well. Instead, treat failure as feedback. When you win, you celebrate, but when you lose, you ponder. And that’s when you learn new things, through experience and feedback.
So, look at failures as experience. And never forget, that so long as you learn something out of your failure, you never truly fail.
3. Focus on Abundance, Not Scarcity
Another mindset for success you’ll want to develop is to always focus on abundance, not scarcity. When you think from a scarcity mentality, you become a loser because when others win, it means that you lose. This kind of thinking breeds fear and paranoia.
While it is true that in a sports competition, there can be only one champion, but that doesn’t mean the runner-up is a loser. If you lose in a competition, don’t look at it as a failure. Instead, look at it as an opportunity to come back stronger. When you think that way, you don’t really lose.
In business, if you hold on to a scarcity mentality, you will fail. You will not share your best strategies and you will never give the best to your clients and customers. Because you believe that if they win, it means you are losing.
Hence, you will hold back and don’t give 100%. That’s when you will lose your business.
On the contrary, when you give your best to your clients and customers, people will love you for being over-deliver. They fall in love with your products and services, they refer friends to you and become your ambassadors. That’s how you succeed.
So, throw away the scarcity mentality and adopt the abundance mentality. Focus on abundance and prosperity because there is truly more than enough for everyone.
4. Be Willing to Be Different
Next, you want to tell yourself that it is okay to be different, to be unique, and to be yourself. If you are too afraid to try new things because you worry you will be different than others, you will never achieve outstanding success in life.
The moment you try to be like everybody to fit it, you become ordinary. You become like everyone else.
So, don’t be afraid to break the rules. If you are playing it too safe, you can never create breakthroughs. People who refuse to take risks will never venture out of their comfort zone to try new things.
When you refuse to be different, you will stay within your comfort zone, and that prevents your growth.
Always remember this inspiring quote from Mark Twain, “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So, throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
Hence, dare to be different and have the courage to venture out of your comfort zone.
5. Be Willing to Learn and Improve
The last of these mindsets for success you should adopt is to be willing to learn and improve. Most people don’t read after they graduated from school. Yet, they dream about being successful and living big in life.
If you are not learning, you are not growing. And if you are not growing, there is no way you can improve and get to a new and higher ground.
Commit to reading at least a book every month. And if you learn a good idea from every book you read, in a year, you will have 12 good ideas. And if you continue to read for the next 5 years, you will learn 60 new ideas to improve your life, to become better, and to succeed.
That’s how powerful reading and learning can be. Successful people are always willing to learn and improve themselves. That’s how they manage to create extraordinary success because they keep growing themselves every day. And you should do the same too if you want to strive for greater success in life.
Bonus Mindset for Success: Positivity
Believe or not, maintaining a positive mental attitude will do wonders for you and the success you seek. In fact, there is overwhelming evidence that clearly shows that people who are happy and positive, tend to be more successful.
People who cultivate a positive mindset usually outrank their peers in job performance reviews, supervisory evaluations, and customer service satisfaction.
How can this be? Well, people who strive for positive mindset for success usually have more energy, thereby put more effort towards their aims, and tend to find more success as a result. On top of that, their positive mindset also helps them overcome setbacks quicker than their negative minded peers.
Related: Obtaining a Can-Do Attitude
Lastly, a positive mindset also helps people become more successful primarily because positive people are often preferred more by their customers, peers, and bosses.
Customers prefer doing business with those whom they know, like, and trust, which leads to more business, and more business equals more success. Similarly, coworkers and managers enjoy building strong relationships with people they get along with. And the better you get along with the people you work with, the longer you’ll work at a place, and the better your odds are that you’ll get promoted.
So out of all of the mindsets for success, this is one that you most certainly should never forget.
Final Thoughts on Cultivating the Right Mindset
Mindset matters more than people think. And the people who realize this fact, and put in the effort to cultivate the right habits of mind, will be the ones to invite the most success into their lives.
Here’s a quick recap of the best mindsets for success:
- Cultivate a Growth Mindset
- Treat Failure as Feedback
- Focus on Abundance
- Be Okay With Being Different
- Learn and Improve Constantly
- Cultivate a Positive Attitude
That said, if it is success you seek, then it is critical that you aim to develop your mindset. Make it a habit to practice these suggested mindsets for success, and you’ll be pleasantly surprised as your success will almost magically start to arrive.
With that being said, if you enjoyed this article on cultivating a positive mindset, then you’ll love these other resources we created to support you in developing your mindset:
Till next time,
PS – If you enjoyed this write-up about which is the best mindset for success, then you’ll probably really enjoy this mindset article: Change Your Mindset Change Your Life.
HOW TO WRITE A STRONG COVER LETTER IN UNDER 5 MINUTES TO LAND THE JOB OF YOUR DREAMS
Cover letters (a.k.a. letters of motivation) are seen by some as a nuisance that take up huge amounts of time during the job application process. For others, it’s seen as a way to stand out from the crowd and increase your chances of getting hired. So, deciding on whether or not you want to use a cover letter is completely up to you, but keep in mind, that aside from having strong customizable resume, the next best tactic to boost your chances of getting a job (according to livecareer.com) is to have a strong cover letter.
Now, we know crafting a strong cover letter can be quite time-consuming, even more so if you’re mass-applying to dozens of different job positions. However, many employers still require a cover letter to be considered for a job role. And if you are applying for the job of your dreams, writing a strong cover letter is something that should never be skipped.
Crafting a Strong Cover Letter
So, to make this task easier and allow you to craft strong custom cover letters for each of the companies that you’re applying to, we’ve prepared this step-by-step guide for fast cover letter creation.
This guide will enable you to:
- increase your chances of landing your dream job
- save you time during the job application process
- allow you to apply for multiple positions in a shorter period of time
- wow your potential employer with a tailor-made cover letter
Template Your Personal Info and Contact Details
One of the first things you can do to streamline your custom cover letter creation process is to template your personal information and contact details. For example, your personal info at the top of the cover letter should be something you never type in manually more than once.
So, what you’ll want to do is create a ready-made template and simply paste it into every cover letter you start writing.
You should include:
- your name
- your phone number
- your email address
It’s also good to include:
- your address
- a link to your LinkedIn/Facebook profile
- chat messenger usernames (Skype and others)
- a link to your portfolio (if you have one)
It may seem that typing these details manually every time will not be so time-consuming, but when you start, you will see that it can actually takes up to 5 minutes to even start – while a simple CTRL + C combined with CTRL + V actions steps only takes a second or two.
Warp-Speed Research About The Company
If you’re applying to several companies, doing thorough research about each one of them can take ages. This doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t research the company you’re applying to, but it’s more time-effective to do it in more detail after you’re invited for an interview.
In a cover letter, most employers want to know more about you, but showing that you’ve done some research about the company will show motivation and ambition. On the other hand, including a 500-word avalanche of company research will not impress many employers.
To speed up your research process, simply go to the company website and look at their general value proposition, or go to their “Mission and Vision” statement if they have one. Then, use the company accomplishments they’re most proud of and include it in your cover letter, like this:
“I read that XYZ Inc. is the number #1 company in the XYZ industry with over X employees, which is why I’m motivated to join your team and…”
Cut Back on CV Information
Some job applicants believe that a cover letter is just a resume that’s more verbose and that doesn’t use bullet points. In other words, applicants think that it’s their task to include all of the information about their professional history in their cover letter.
Well, that’s precisely what the resume is for. The cover letter’s task is to show why you’re motivated for that company, that industry, that position (hence the synonym letter of motivation).
To save time both for you and the HR expert who will be reviewing your cover letter, don’t reiterate the info that you have already made clear on your resume.
You can also add a sentence such as:
“For more details about my career, professional history and achievements, you can refer to the resume I’ve attached.“
Show That You Understand What The Position is About
Unlike research about the company itself, employers actually expect that you have a thorough understanding of what the job role you’re applying to is all about.
To cover all their requirements and show that you’re skilled for the job, while saving a lot of time doing it, you can simply refer to the “Requirements” section in their job ad.
This is usually presented in bullet points, so you can simply take those requirements from their ad and explain, with real-life examples, how and why you fulfill them.
Here’s an example from a recent Amazon job ad looking for a Communications Program Manager:
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications or a related field (Journalism, Marketing Communication, Public Relations or related field and / or related work experience in the area of Communications and Change Management).
- 6+ years of communications experience including internal communications-focused experience.
- Experience in providing counsel to, and working with senior executives.
- Experience working with virtual teams.
- Ability to use quantitative and qualitative data to make decisions and recommendations.
- Experience leading communications programs in a multinational business.
- Experience leading social media employee engagement programs/campaigns.
Now, if you want to get down to brass tacks and show you have all these qualifications without spending a lot of time, simply include this text in your cover letter. After every bullet, exemplify how you fulfill that particular requirement. If you don’t, you can include plans for professional improvement in the near future that will show the employer you’re ready to go the extra mile to fit into the job position.
This will show the employer that you know how to differentiate between the important and the irrelevant and that you know how to cut to the chase without cliché phrases and ambiguous corporate humble-brags. But most importantly, it will help you deliver a strong cover letter, vs. a weak one.
Make Realistic and Straightforward Promises
Many job applicants make the mistake of talking too much about themselves as someone with a professional past completely unrelated to the company or even industry.
When you’re writing a cover letter, your task is, among others, to explain why you should get hired for that exact role and what you plan on doing when you do get hired.
However, beware of making false promises. For example, don’t include “willingness to travel” if it’s going to turn out you don’t actually want to travel for work due to your family. Don’t say that you’re “not afraid to take responsibility” if you don’t want to be in charge of a team.
If creating a strong cover letter is important to you, then you’ll want to be sure you show the employer exactly what you plan to achieve within your first week, month and year on the position.
Lastly, you’ll want to be sure you end your cover letter strong. You don’t have to spend too much time on this aspect of your cover letter; however, it’s important to keep in the back of your mind that having a proper and powerful end to your cover letter is critical.
So, aim to make a lasting impression with a powerful ending to your cover letter. Here are a few powerful ways to end a cover letter:
- Summarize Your Strengths. You don’t need to rehash everything you’ve covered about yourself in the body of the cover letter, but you’ll want to make sure you include one or two of your standout strengths in the closing of your cover letter to make it pop.
- Exude Confidence. Hiring managers can sense how confident you are by the words you use and how you use them. So, be sure you aren’t using passive language in your closing, and strive to sound assertive and sure of yourself to wrap up your cover letter.
- Show Gratitude. Lastly, be polite and say thank you. By showing gratitude you’ll come across as someone who the hiring managers will be excited to speak with and potentially work with. Gratitude shows awareness and that you’ll likely make for a good team player.
In short, finish strong by summarizing your strengths, writing with confidence, and conveying gratitude, and you’ll have a powerful end to what has become a really strong cover letter.
Final Thoughts on How to Write a Strong Custom Cover Letter
Considering the current state of the economy, there are no shortages of people looking for employment. As such, it is more important than ever to be able to create a lasting impression with your future employer and stand out from the crowd.
Our hope, is that the suggestions in this post will help you increase the speed at which you can create your custom cover letters without sacrificing quality.
So, with that being said, we wish you luck in your quest for landing your dream job. Use these cover letter tips to build the strong cover letters that get people hired, and you’ll be that much more ahead of your competition.
Till next time,
PS – If you enjoyed this article, then you’ll probably love these article on How to Get Rich With a Normal Job
50+ INSPIRATIONAL MASTER P QUOTES FOR SUCCESS
Percy Miller, or Master P as most people know him, is one of the most successful hip hop icons of all-time. He’s the mastermind behind ‘No Limit Records’, a record label which dominated the hip hop and rap scenes throughout the 90’s and early 2000’s. He’s also a savvy investor, businessman, and a multi-millionaire who’s been growing his business empire for over two-decades now. Needless to say, Master P knows and understands success. As such, we’ve decided to round up some of the most inspiring and insightful Master P quotes.
Our hope is that these quotes will inspire you to hustle and build your own empire just like Master P. And at the very least, give you a greater appreciation for some of the thought processes that have helped P achieve the extraordinary success he now enjoys. So, if you’re ready to be inspired, let’s dive right in.
MASTER P QUOTES FOR SUCCESS
1. “I’m tired of people running with me. Don’t run with me anymore — push me, push me. Tell me not to give up. Tell me not to stop. Tell me not to quit.” – Master P
2. “I tell people, ‘Everybody has 24 hours. What you are doing with your 24 hours will dictate your life, your future, and what you have, and your friends and the people around you will dictate the same thing.” – Master P
3. “I could tell who you are by the people you hang around with. I tell people all of the time, ‘I’d rather fly with the eagles than walk with the pigeons.’ And sometimes, eagles have to fly alone — most of the time, they fly alone.” – Master P
4. “Everybody won’t believe in your dreams and goals. When I was growing up, a lot of people told me, ‘Man, you ain’t going to make it.’ Even people close to me said, ‘That s**t ain’t going to work.” – Master P
5. “I kept going, I believed in myself.” – Master P
6. “Ownership is one thing, but control is the most important thing because you can’t own everything.” – Master P
7. “If you prepare the next generation with the right mindset, you don’t have to worry about changing things yourself. My kids don’t have to make the same mistakes that I made, and they are able to get a great education right off top.” – Master P
8. “You can get money back, but you can’t get time — time is so valuable. Spending that time with your kids is what’s going to program or prepare them for the future.” – Master P
9. “We’ve got to stop a lot of the self-hate that we do as a culture because it’s all about celebrating one another. That’s the only way we’re going to build economic empowerment by having great businesses, but also being able to give back.” – Master P
10. “Work hard and never make excuses.” – Master P
11. “Cars are a liability. Jewelry — a lot of the time — is a liability. It may make you feel good and it has street credibility, but it doesn’t have any real value in the real world.” – Master P
12. “I never said I was broke, I’ve always said, ‘The money is in the mill, it’s coming.'” – Master P
13. “So when we start to change our mindset, it becomes extremely difficult to spend money on liabilities. Once you’ve become educated on assets, you look at everything as an opportunity.” – Master P
14. “I think my thing is I grew up in the ghetto, and I was able to get a second chance. That’s what I’m trying to tell kids.” – Master P
15. “You have to be committed to what you do. Everybody thinks it’s about the money. Nobody really gave me anything, but, I was committed to what I believed in.” – Master P
“You have to be committed to what you do. Everybody thinks it’s about the money. Nobody really gave me anything, but, I was committed to what I believed in.” – Master P
“You have to be committed to what you do. Everybody thinks it’s about the money. Nobody really gave me anything, but, I was committed to what I believed in.” – Master PTweet Quote
16. “How does hating get started? It’s started by the jealous people, and they get mad over the things you have.” – Master P
17. “People do look up to me and it makes me feel good. I made it out of a bad situation and I didn’t mind bettering myself and I think that is what people respect. Most people go back but I was able to look at the big picture.” – Master P
18. “I feel like God blessed me to be successful and to have a couple of more things that a lot of people of where I come from didn’t have or didn’t see, but it ain’t always about me. It’s about empowering the next generation so that’s what I love doing.” – Master P
19. “Diversify. You spread out because you never know when it’s going to end. Business is like a seesaw going up and down. When one goes down, I have the other one going up. You have to think like that if you want to survive.” – Master P
20. “Understand the game, but make your own moves.” – Master P
21. “I want to be like Muhammad Ali. He went out there and made a lot of money, he fought hard in the ring, and he fought for our people outside of the ring.” – Master P
22. “I tell people, if you get in a business, you need to know everything about your business. You need to know what the janitor is doing. You need to know what the guy who’s cooking the burgers is doing. You need to know what the mailroom is doing. You need to know everything about your business to be successful.” – Master P
23. “I feel like it’s okay for us to grow up because a lot of us want to get rich and die young. I want to get rich and die old.” – Master P
24. “I think you’ve got good people and bad people in everything you do. If you start making a big deal of it, then it’s a problem. It’s like in life. We’ve got bad doctors and lawyers. We’ve got bad priests! We don’t target every priest and say he’s bad. You have to go to church and you have to go see some doctors. Some people have to be good.” – Master P
25. “It’s my passion that drove me to like get better and better like an athlete in a gym.” – Master P
“It’s my passion that drove me to like get better and better like an athlete in a gym.” – Master PTweet Quote
26. “I think my thing is I grew up in the ghetto, and I was able to get a second chance. That’s what I’m trying to tell kids.” – Master P
27. “I don’t need to get my due; I get my money.” – Master P
28. “I think everybody has a good and bad side.” – Master P
29. “You can’t choose your family but you can choose your friends. Life is like a seesaw, it goes up and it goes down. If people are only around you when you’re up then those are not true friends. In order for you to rise higher, you have to end the relationships that limit you and don’t believe in you.” – Master P
30. “Product outweighs talent.” – Master P
31. “It’s called ‘putting skin in the game,’ putting your own money up first, being your own boss. That’s how I got the power: I put up my own marketing money.” – Master P
32. “Everybody needs love. There are a lot of guys that you think are hard-core gangsters, but all these guys’ weaknesses are women. Look at the movie Scarface. At the end of the day, all he wanted to do was to have kids with his woman.” – Master P
33. “I want to be able to take care of my family.” – Master P
34. “I’m keen on building generational wealth by instilling values in my seven children. I share money lessons with my children. However, above all things, I stress the importance of building a foundation on faith and family.” – Master P
35. “Find that person to push you. Life is a marathon. You got to find that person that’s going to push you, instead of running with people that’s just running with you. If you want to be successful, you have to find somebody that’s going to push you all the way over the finish line.” – Master P
“Find that person to push you. Life is a marathon. You got to find that person that’s going to push you, instead of running with people that’s just running with you. If you want to be successful, you have to find somebody that’s going to push you all the way over the finish line.” – Master PTweet Quote
36. “Surround yourself with people who build you up and inspire you. If you are the smartest person in your circle, you need to make new friends who are smarter than you and who will challenge you without judging you.” – Master P
37. “People are in your life for a reason or a season.” – Master P
38. “Education is key. It’s about giving our people the blueprint. We can’t change the past but we change the future by educating our culture.” – Master P
39. “Fly with the eagles and leave the hawks. Essentially, you become like your circle of friends, so choose wisely.” – Master P
40. “Choose the people you call friends wisely.” – Master P
41. “Everyone has 24 hours, you’re either going to walk with the pigeons or fly with the Eagles.” – Master P
42. “How you invest your time determines your success.” – Master P
43. “I turned down $1 million though I had $500 left in my bank account. I knew if Interscope were willing to pay $1 million, I could make $40 million if I figured out how to own my talent.” – Master P
44. “The first key to success is awareness. Before making any life-altering changes, you must become completely aware of your individual circumstances.” – Master P
45. “Nobody has the power to change the past, but we all have the power to change our future. Hard work pays off!” – Master P
“Nobody has the power to change the past, but we all have the power to change our future.” Hard work pays off!” – Master PTweet Quote
46. “Don’t be afraid to start your own business, you have to take a chance.” – Master P
47. “Don’t be afraid to grow up. Don’t be afraid to make the right investments, and don’t be afraid to invest in yourself.” – Master P
48. “I learned that no matter what your present circumstances look like, you can take yourself wherever you want to go if you can visualize a brighter future through the eyes of faith.” – Master P
49. “Anything is possible if you can first perceive it, then believe it, and finally, refuse to give up until you achieve it.” – Master P
50. “Knowledge is more important than money.” – Master P
51. “People should be praying for wisdom, not for money. If you got the wisdom and the knowledge you can do whatever you want to do.” – Master P
52. “I tell people, it’s not how you start, it’s how you finish.” – Master P
53. “It’s not what you have or how much you have, but what you do with what you have that determines your success or lack of it.” – Master P
54. “Success comes in levels; it’s not a once in a lifetime event.” – Master P
55. “I named myself Master P, because I wanted to master whatever I do.” – Master P
Bonus Master P Quote
Bonus: Alright, here is one of our favorite Master P quotes. We added it as bonus, because we stand behind it, and believe it to be 100% true. If it’s worked for Master P, it can work for you.
Related: Master P Success Story
Great job making it to the end of these powerful Master P quotes! We hope you’ve gained a few valuable insights about the hip hop mogul, marketing genius, and business icon known as Master P.
But more importantly, we hope his wise words have inspired you to believe that you too can go out and conquer your own little slice of the world, just as he has.
Till you reach you aims,
100+ INSPIRATIONAL QUOTES ABOUT SUCCESS AND ACHIEVEMENT
There are no shortcuts to success, but that doesn’t mean success is not obtainable. Sure, the journey is always longer, more difficult, and time consuming than we initially anticipate. But, just like everything else in life, that which is fought for most vigorously is cherished most ardently.
So, to help you embrace the challenge of achieving the success you seek, and overcoming the obstacles you’ll face as you strive to achieve more in your life, we’ve rounded up some of the best quotes about success and achievement. May they help you succeed in the face of failure, and achieve all of your dreams.
BEST QUOTES ON SUCCESS AND ACHIEVEMENT
1. “Always bear in mind that your own resolution to success is more important than any other one thing.” – Abraham Lincoln
2. “Success is not final; failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.” – Winston S. Churchill
3. “Success usually comes to those who are too busy to be looking for it.” – Henry David Thoreau
“Success usually comes to those who are too busy to be looking for it.” – Henry David ThoreauTweet Quote
4. “I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have.” – Thomas Jefferson
5. “Try not to become a man of success. Rather become a man of value.” – Albert Einstein
6. “Success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm.” – Winston Churchill
“Success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm.” – Winston ChurchillTweet Quote
7. “If you really look closely, most overnight successes took a long time.” – Steve Jobs
8. “There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, and learning from failure.” – Colin Powell
9. “The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.” – Winston Churchill
10. “Success comes to those who become success conscious.” – Napoleon Hill
11. “The only limit to our realization of tomorrow will be our doubts of today.” – Franklin D. Roosevelt
12. “Success seems to be connected with action. Successful people keep moving. They make mistakes, but they don’t quit.” – Conrad Hilton
13. “It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” – Vince Lombardi
14. “Some people dream of success, while others wake up and work hard at it.” – Napoleon Hill
15. “All successes begin with self-discipline. It starts with you.” – Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson
16. “Many of life’s failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.” – Thomas Edison
“Many of life’s failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.” – Thomas EdisonTweet Quote
17. “The secret of success is to do the common thing uncommonly well.” – John D. Rockefeller Jr.
18. “You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.” – C.S. Lewis
19. “The secret to success is to know something nobody else knows.” – Aristotle Onassis
20. “Average people have wishes and hopes. Successful people have goals.” – Achievement Quote
“Average people have wishes and hopes. Successful people have goals.” – Achievement QuoteTweet Quote
21. “Without self-discipline, success is impossible, period.” – Lou Holtz
22. “For every reason it’s not possible, there are hundreds of people who have faced the same circumstances and succeeded.” – Jack Canfield
23. “The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.” – Vince Lombardi
24. “Your level of success is determined by your level of discipline and perseverance.” – Anonymous
25. “Success is a matter of understanding and religiously practicing specific simple habits that always lead to success.” – Robjert J. Ringer
26. “Success doesn’t just happen. You have to be intentional about it, and that takes discipline.” – John C. Maxwell
“Success doesn’t just happen. You have to be intentional about it, and that takes discipline.” – John C. MaxwellTweet Quote
27. “Failure will never overtake me if my determination to succeed is strong enough.” – Og Mandino
28. “The twin killers of success are impatience and greed.” – Jim Rohn
29. “The successful person has the habit of doing the things failures don’t like to do. They don’t like doing them either necessarily. But their disliking is subordinated to the strength of their purpose.” – E.M. Gray
30. “The path to success is to take massive determined action.” – Tony Robbins
31. “Success is measured by your discipline and inner peace.” – Mike Ditka
32. “In the end, the money and success that truly last come not to those who focus on such things as goals, but rather to those who focus on mastery and fulfilling their Life’s Task.” – Robert Greene
33. “I could only achieve success in my life through self-discipline, and I applied it until my wish and my will became one.” – Nikola Tesla
“I could only achieve success in my life through self-discipline, and I applied it until my wish and my will became one.” – Nikola TeslaTweet Quote
34. “If one advances confidently in the direction of one’s dreams, and endeavors to live the life which one has imagined, one will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.” – Henry David Thoreau
35. “What really makes successful entrepreneurs is not the nature of their idea, or the university they went to , but their actual character – their willingness to adapt their ideas and take advantage of possibilities they had not first imagined.” – Robert Greene
36. “Where success is concerned, people are not measured in inches, or pounds, or college degrees, or family background: they are measured by the size of their thinking.” – David J. Schwartz
“Where success is concerned, people are not measured in inches, or pounds, or college degrees, or family background: they are measured by the size of their thinking.” – David J. SchwartzTweet Quote
37. “You will never have a greater or lesser dominion than that over yourself…the height of a man’s success is gauged by his self-mastery; the depth of his failure by his self-abandonment. …And this law is the expression of eternal justice. He who cannot establish dominion over himself will have no dominion over others.” – Leonardo da Vinci
Quotes About Success and Achievement
You’re just about halfway through these success quotes. Hopefully they are filling your head with the inspiration and motivation you’ll need to overcome the obstacles that are keeping you from your success at the moment.
This next section puts even more focus on quotes about success and achievement. We hope the quotes, along with the supporting links throughout the page, truly motivates you to keep moving forward on your dreams.
38. “Success is nothing more than a few simple disciplines, practiced every day.” – Jim Rohn
39. “Disciplined, consistent, and persistent actions are more of a determining factor in the creation of success than any other combination of things.” – Grant Cardone
40. “Success is a pile of failure that you are standing on.” – Dave Ramsey
41. “Success is actually a short race – a sprint fueled by discipline just long enough for habit to kick in and take over.” – Gary Keller
42. “We are all self-made, but only the successful will admit it.” – Earl Nightingale
43. “You can think your way to failure and unhappiness, but you can also think your way to success and happiness.” – Norman Vincent Peale
“You can think your way to failure and unhappiness, but you can also think your way to success and happiness.” – Norman Vincent PealeTweet Quote
44. “I start early and I stay late, day after day, year after year, it took me 17 years and 114 days to become an overnight success.” – Lionel Messi
45. “Unsuccessful people suffer a mind-deadening thought disease. We call this disease excusitis.” – David J. Schwartz
46. “The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will. ” – Vince Lombardi
“The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will. ” – Vince LombardiTweet Quote
47. “Without continual growth and progress, such words as improvement, achievement, and success have no meaning.” – Benjamin Franklin
48. “Believe in yourself and have faith in your abilities! Without humble but reasonable confidence in your own powers, you cannot be successful or happy.” – Norman Vincent Peale
49. “If one does not possess persistence, one does not achieve noteworthy success in any calling.” – Napoleon Hill
50. “Whether you think you can or you think you can’t, you’re right.” – Henry Ford
51. “The path to success will leave you callused, bruised, and very tired. It will also leave you empowered.” – David Goggins
52. “At the end of the day, you are solely responsible for your success and your failure. And the sooner you realize that, you accept that, and integrate that into your work ethic, you will start being successful. As long as you blame others for the reason you aren’t where you want to be, you will always be a failure.” – Erin Cummings
53. “Great achievers are driven, not so much by the pursuit of success but by the fear of failure.” – Larry Ellison
“Great achievers are driven, not so much by the pursuit of success but by the fear of failure.” – Larry EllisonTweet Quote
54. “Perseverance is a great element of success. If you only knock long enough and loud enough at the gate, you are sure to wake up somebody.” – Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
55. “The keys to success are patience, persistence, and obsessive attention to detail.” – Jeff Bezos
56. “Work hard in silence, let success be your noise.” – Achievement Quote
57. “Success isn’t just about what you accomplish in your life: it’s about what you inspire others to do.” – Success Quote
58. “Who you are tomorrow begins with what you do today “All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.” – Walt Disney
59. “Achievement seems to be connected with action. Successful men and women keep moving. The make mistakes, but they don’t quit.” – Conrad Hilton
60. “I never dreamed of success, I worked for it.” – Estee Lauder
61. “Success is not an activity, but a process.” – Success and Achievement Quote
62. “Develop success from failures. Discouragement and failure are two of the surest stepping stones to success.” – Dale Carnegie
63. “Success is getting what you want, happiness is wanting what you get” – W.P. Kinsella
64. “Successful people begin where failures leave off. Never settle for ‘just getting the job done.’ Excel!” – Tom Hopkins
65. “I know the price of success: dedication, hard work and an unremitting devotion to the things you want to see happen.” – Frank Lloyd Wright
66. “Victory is sweetest when you’ve known defeat.” – Malcolm S. Forbes
67. “When you go in search of honey, you must expect to be stung by bees.” – Joseph Joubert
68. “Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort.” – Franklin D. Roosevelt
69. “Far and away the best prize that life offers is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.” – Theodore Roosevelt
70. “I attribute my success to this – I never gave or took any excuse.” – Florence Nightingale
“I attribute my success to this – I never gave or took any excuse.” – Florence NightingaleTweet Quote
71. “Learning and innovation go hand in hand. The arrogance of success is to think that what you did yesterday will be sufficient for tomorrow.” – William Pollard
72. “Success is not to be pursued; it is to be attracted by the person you become.” – Jim Rohn
73. “Don’t mistake activity with achievement.” – John Wooden
74. “Success or failure depends more upon attitude than upon capacity successful men act as though they have accomplished or are enjoying something. Soon it becomes a reality. Act, look, feel successful, conduct yourself accordingly, and you will be amazed at the positive results.” – William James
75. “The first step toward success is taken when you refuse to be a captive of the environment in which you first find yourself.” – Mark Caine
76. “Action is the foundational key to all success.” – Pablo Picasso
77. “You can do whatever you set your mind to if you just roll up your sleeves, get in there, and do it. everything is figureoutable.”
78. “The key to realizing a dream is to focus not on success but significance.” – Oprah Winfrey
79. “If you want to achieve greatnes stop asking for permission.” – Anonymous
80. “The key to success is to start before you’re ready.” – Marie Forleo
81. “Success is usually the culmination of controlling failures.” – Sylvester Stallone
82. “Success takes communication, collaboration, and sometimes failure.” – Jessica Alba
83. “Sometimes it takes a thousand tries to win.” – Rihanna
84. “All good ideas start out as bad ideas, that’s why it takes so long.” – Steven Spielberg
85. “Be a lot, do a lot, do a lot have a lot. ” – Myron Golden
86. “The key to success is failure.” – Michael Jordan
87. “That some achieve great success, is proof to all that others can achieve it as well.” – Abraham Lincoln
88. “I’d have to say hard work and dedication are the cornerstones of success, and if you believe in yourself, even when others are doubting you, and society is pushing you down, it’s important to have that self-belief in yourself.” – Serena Williams
89. “Faith will get you to a point. Luck will get you to a point. But to achieve the kind of success you dream about, you need to work. There are no shortcuts, you can’t cheat life, just get to work and don’t stop until you reach your highest potential.” – Denzel Washington
90. “If you avoid failure, you also avoid success.” – Robert Kiyosaki
91. “Desire is the key to motivation, but it’s determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of your goal – a commitment to excellence – that will enable you to attain the success you seek.” – Mario Andretti
92. “It doesn’t matter how many times you fail. You only have to be right once and then everyone can tell you that you are an overnight success.” – Mark Cuban
93. “Ambition is the first step to success. The second step is action.” – Mel Robbins
94. “That ability to control your thoughts ultimately will lead to success whatever your line of work is, because you have to be able to see what you want to have happen.” – Phil Mickelson
95. “Dream big. Start small. But most of all, start.” – Simon Sinek
96. “Learn from failure. If you are an entrepreneur and your first venture wasn’t a success, welcome to the club.” – Richard Branson
“Learn from failure. If you are an entrepreneur and your first venture wasn’t a success, welcome to the club.” – Richard BransonTweet Quote
97. “Sometimes a winner is just a dreamer who never gave up.” – Michael Jordan
98. “Success occurs when opportunity meets preparation” – Zig Ziglar
99. “The people who are successful decide they are going to be successful. They make that choice. And they make other choices. They decide to study hard. They decide to work hard. They decide to be the first person to get to work and the last to go home. They decide they are going to take on the hard jobs. Take on the challenges. They decide they are going to lead when no one else will.” – Jocko Willink
100. “Hard work and determination equals success. Nothing comes easy. Put your mind to something.” – Kevin Hart
“Hard work and determination equals success. Nothing comes easy. Put your mind to something.” – Kevin HartTweet Quote
101. “There’s a lot of blood, sweat, and guts between dreams and success.” – Paul ‘Bear’ Bryant
102. “Attitude is everything. The greatest success comes from having the freedom to fail.” – Master P
103. “I failed forward to success. I truly believe that life is a series of many attempts and many failures before we realize success. The important thing is to keep on trying.” – Mary Kay Ash
“I failed forward to success. I truly believe that life is a series of many attempts and many failures before we realize success. The important thing is to keep on trying.” – Mary Kay AshTweet Quote
104. “Today’s accomplishments were yesterday’s impossibilities.” – Robert H. Schuller
105. “I believe success is achieved by ordinary people with extraordinary determination.” – Zig Ziglar
Bonus Success Quote
Bonus: Here’s our final quote about sucess and achievement. We’ve listed here as a bonus because it sums up best what we believe is key for finding success in anything; striving.
“I can’t imagine a person becoming a success who doesn’t give this game of life everything he’s got.” – Walter CronkiteTweet Quote
Leverage These Success Quotes
Never forget what it means to be successful; for success is the progressive realization of a worthy goal. And if you are truly striving for success, you are going to have setbacks, or days where you want to give up. But, so long as you keep moving forward, and don’t ever stop reaching for your goal, you will eventually succeed.
So, leverage these success quotes when things get hard, because they will, and keep doing so until that one fine day arrives when you wake up and realize you have achieved everything you’ve ever wanted…
PS – If these enjoyed these inspirational quotes about success and achievement, then you’ll love these inspiring success stories.
HOW TO BUILD MENTAL TOUGHNESS AND STRENGTH
There is no doubt that any level of success requires mental toughness. Success doesn’t just happen, it requires specific and consistently repeated actions over time to create the results you want.
But taking those actions and getting those results is easier said than done. This is where mental toughness comes into the game.
The lack of mental toughness is what stops many people in their tracks. Many people have big dreams and goals, but somewhere along the path, things get hard, and most give up.
This is the reason why so many people who start the climb to success fail. They get all excited and get motivated to achieve their dreams, but then they get stopped in their tracks.
The reality that many don’t realize is that talking is easy, but doing the work is not.
What most don’t realize is that at some stage, your initial motivation will fade, and the people around you will disappear. Then it’s just you.
But what will you do when no one is watching? What will you do when you are struggling, and things get hard? Will you stop? Will you give up?
I don’t care how motivated you are, but at some point in your journey, you will get to a point where you will ask yourself the following questions:
Is this worth it?
What if this doesn’t work?
Maybe I should give up?
This is the fork in the road. At this point, the losers will stop and give up. The winners will push forward and go on to win.
But why do most quit? And how do the winners keep going and win? Well, this is where mental toughness comes into the game.
This article will answer why successful people win and how they use their minds to overcome whatever is in front of them. In other words, how do they build their mental toughness?
What Is Mental Toughness?
Mental toughness is the psychological ability that enables individuals, generally, to cope better than most people with the many demands that life throws at them.
They developed the ability to be more consistent and better than most people in remaining focused, confident, determined, and in control under pressure.
It’s not that these people are superhuman, it’s that they developed the ability to recognize the hardships of the situations they find themselves in but are still able to move forward no matter how bad things get.
HOW TO BUILD MENTAL TOUGHNESS
If you are reading this article, then I assume you are someone that has goals and dreams that you are determined to achieve. Therefore you know that it’s non-negotiable to have a high level of self-discipline as a lifestyle to achieve big goals.
But besides self-discipline, we need mental toughness. But you can’t just tell someone, “Build mental toughness.” You need methods that will help you build a foundation and get you moving in the right direction with momentum.
Over the years, I have studied high-level achievers in sports and elite military units and identified the key methods that help them to overcome and achieve on a consistently high level.
Today I’m going to share with you three powerful ways to start building mental toughness. Here they are:
1. Stop Negotiating With Yourself
The first way to start building mental resilience is to stop negotiating with yourself. We all have mental habits. The problem with mental habits is that most of the time we don’t know we have them.
They are certain thought patterns that we repeat without realizing it. For example, every time you think of exercise, you find a reason why it’s a better idea to postpone it. You tell yourself, “Let’s do it tomorrow.”
In other words, you start negotiating with yourself. Every human being has two parts in his mind. Think of them as the good guy and the bad guy. Or, if you want to look at it more scientifically, the old part and the new part of the human brain are always in conflict with each other.
The ancient part of the human brain, also known as the “reptilian brain”, and the newer part of your brain, also known as the logical brain, have different agendas.
The logical brain wants to achieve your goals. But every time the logical brain wants to take action, the old brain steps in and starts negotiating for something more comfortable.
The key here is to stop the negotiations immediately. Don’t even allow discussion. As soon as this “bad guy” comes up to negotiate, stop him in his tracks. This works because as soon as you realize what is happening, you can cut it off and get on with it.
The big mistake that most people make is that they think the “bad guy” is a legitimate voice that is making a legitimate argument. Now that you know what is actually happening, you can recognize it and stop it. No negotiation is allowed, just move on and start executing your goal.
2. Use The David Goggins Cookie Jar Method
One of the men that I admire most in the world is Navy SEAL David Goggins. Goggins became world famous after the release of his book “Can’t Hurt Me.”
David Goggins is arguably the toughest man on the planet, but this wasn’t always the case. He was an overweight, mediocre underachiever that turned himself into one of the most elite athletes on the planet.
One of the biggest lessons I learned from him is his Cookie Jar Method. Goggins often talks about the Cookie Jar method and how he uses it. The Cookie Jar is basically a virtual cookie jar that he goes into when his back is against the wall.
The Cookie Jar is filled with notes from a wide range of events from his past. Every note has a memory from the past. These events are things that happened to him and that he managed to overcome.
A lot of these events are painful, even though he managed to overcome them. So whenever he feels like quitting or giving up, he goes into the cookie jar and reads one of the notes.
For example, one note might read, “Remember when no one believed in you, but you still lost all the weight and went on to join the Navy Seals.”
The key to this method is to use your past pain and pleasure events to push you to overcome whatever is in front of you.
The mind is incredibly powerful if you use it effectively. This method allows us to use the pain and pleasure centers of our brains to overcome mental obstacles that are in our way.
Create your mental cookie jar. It doesn’t have to be big things, but find something to remind you of what you can do when obstacles get placed in your path. Use your past pain or pleasure, and feed on it so that it fuels you to go on and win.
3. Use The Special Operations Mind Control Method
Another method that I learned from the elite special operations community is to minimize the mountain in front of you. To understand this method, you first need to understand the context of special operations units.
If you think about the Navy Seals,75th Ranger Regiment, Green Berets, or Marine Raiders, then you are talking about some of the hardest training in the world.
It’s not just hard, it takes a long time to accomplish. Depending on the unit you go to, it could take up to 2 years to complete all training. For those brave enough to join, a mental mountain awaits them. This is the reason why so many quit.
80% of SEAL candidates quit. Many of them reach mental obstacles early in training. For example, Navy SEAL “Hell Week” is five days with only 2 hours of sleep.
Within the first day of “Hell Week,” many quit because they find themselves on a mental wake-up call when they tell themselves, “This is only day one, and I already feel like I can’t go on. How am I going to make the next five days? How Am I going to make it in the next five months?”
This is an example of mental obstacles that makes most men quit. But it’s not just in the military where we find these mental blocks.
Maybe you started a business, and within the first five months, you realize things are a lot harder than you thought they would be, so you tell yourself, “I don’t know if I can do this for another year.” So you quit.
So how do we overcome these types of mental blocks? How do we overcome these mental mountains? To answer this question, let’s go back to the Special Operations Units and their training. We mentioned the mental mountains in front of them and how it stops them.
Well, I recently listened to several Navy Seals, and Green Berets talk on a podcast about how they overcome these mental mountains.What they do is simple, they don’t allow themselves to focus on the mountain in front of them. They break it down into small achievable goals.
The Navy Seal on the podcast said that when he was going through Hell Week, he would often start thinking about quitting, but every time he did, he would tell himself something like the following:
“The sun is rising now, I’m going to make it to lunch and if I want to quit, I can do it at lunch.”
And then he would make it to lunch, and then he would tell himself the following:
“Ok, I feel like quitting, but I’m going to go until dinner and see how I feel then.”
Then when he reached dinner, he would tell himself he would make it until breakfast. He would keep repeating this until the end of the week. He would keep setting small achievable goals for himself to trick his mind to keep moving forward.
The key lesson is to not let yourself get overwhelmed by the big goals that you set for yourself. You need to train your mind to hold your big vision for yourself in the background and place your small achievable goals fresh in your mind.
Don’t get obsessed with the massive task ahead of you. Just focus on your small goals and start executing each and every one of them. That is how you win.
Most of the people that achieve great things are not naturally born superheroes. They just learned how to use their minds in such an effective way that it’s very hard for them to fail.
Mental toughness comes down to using proven methods to condition your mind to move in the direction that you want it to move.
Does this mean achieving your goals will be easy? No, but if you consistently do the work and use these methods, you will condition your mind to never give up and always be moving forward. You will put yourself in a position where you consistently achieve your goals and inevitably win.
Till you reach those aims,
PS – If you enjoyed this article on how to build mental toughness, then you’ll certainly enjoy reading these powerful mental toughness quotes.
DAVID GOGGINS NET WORTH
SELF-DISCIPLINE TIPS: THE BEST 7 WAYS TO IMPROVE SELF-DISCIPLINE
THE ED MYLETT SUCCESS STORY
THE 5 MINDSETS FOR SUCCESS YOU SHOULD DEVELOP A.S.A.P.
NO GUTS, NO GLORY QUOTES
75+ MOTIVATIONAL MICHAEL JORDAN QUOTES FOR SUCCESS
DAVE RAMSEY’S NET WORTH + HOW HE BECAME SO RICH
15 BEST BOOKS TO BUILD SELF-DISCIPLINE AND MASTER SELF-CONTROL (2022)
100+ SELF-DISCIPLINE QUOTES TO HELP YOU ACHIEVE SUCCESS
20 BEST BOOKS TO BUILD SELF-CONFIDENCE AND IMPROVE SELF-ESTEEM (2022)
25 MOTIVATIONAL MANTRAS THAT ACTUALLY WORK
100+ BADASS HARD WORK QUOTES TO FIRE UP YOUR WORK ETHIC
100+ PURPOSE QUOTES TO HELP YOU FIND AND LIVE YOUR PURPOSE
100 INSPIRING COURAGE QUOTES TO HELP YOU FEEL COURAGEOUS
HOW TO MAKE MONEY WHILE YOU SLEEP AND NOT WORK UNTIL YOU DIE
This article may contain links from our partners. Please read how we make money for more info. If you’ve ever asked yourself,...
10 REASONS BUILDING AN ONLINE BUSINESS IS A GOOD INVESTMENT
This article may contain links from our partners. Please read how we make money for more info. Have you ever asked yourself,...
5 MILLIONAIRE SUCCESS HABITS THAT CAN ACTUALLY MAKE YOU RICH
This article may contain links from our partners. Please read how we make money for more info. These days anyone can become...
BEST WORKOUT APPS AND DIGITAL FITNESS PROGRAMS
This review for best workout apps may contain links from our partners. Please read how we make money for more info. Are...
Self-Discipline7 months ago
15 BEST BOOKS TO BUILD SELF-DISCIPLINE AND MASTER SELF-CONTROL (2022)
Quotes11 months ago
100+ SELF-DISCIPLINE QUOTES TO HELP YOU ACHIEVE SUCCESS
Confidence10 months ago
20 BEST BOOKS TO BUILD SELF-CONFIDENCE AND IMPROVE SELF-ESTEEM (2022)
Motivation1 month ago
25 MOTIVATIONAL MANTRAS THAT ACTUALLY WORK
Motivation1 year ago
100 INSPIRING EFFORT QUOTES TO HELP YOU ACHIEVE YOUR POTENTIAL
Quotes11 months ago
100+ BADASS HARD WORK QUOTES TO FIRE UP YOUR WORK ETHIC
Inspiration3 months ago
100+ PURPOSE QUOTES TO HELP YOU FIND AND LIVE YOUR PURPOSE
Quotes2 years ago
55 POWER QUOTES TO HELP YOU FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS
Confidence11 months ago
100 INSPIRING COURAGE QUOTES TO HELP YOU FEEL COURAGEOUS
Quotes4 days ago
NO GUTS, NO GLORY QUOTES
Quotes11 months ago
100+ MOTIVATIONAL QUOTES TO HELP YOU NEVER GIVE UP
Motivation11 months ago
TOP 100 SUCCESS AND MOTIVATIONAL BLOGS FOR 2022